The Theme Song for those rejected by the Almighty

I knew this would happen one day...

Jesus Stole My Girlfriend
By: Violent Soho

Every day every afternoon
tried so hard but lost to God.

This time next year I´ll be married
this time next year I´ll say sorry
but Jesus stole my girlfriend.

I thought you´re my friend. I´ll guess again
I look to the clouds God gives me a frown.

This time next year I´ll be married
this time next year I´ll say sorry
but Jesus stole my girlfriend.

Try to talk to me again.
I´ll never even sing or do anything.

Jesus stole my girlfriend.

The band Violent Soho has written a song about the experience far too many have had. I posted this blog about a year ago about the phenomenon of young Christians invoking the authority of God in their relational decisions. Needless to say, it is at best misguided, and at worst irrevocably harmful, to use Jesus as a cop-out when you don't want to go out with someone, and especially a non-believer.

The decision not to date someone based on spiritual differences is a perfectly viable one, as this is one of the most important factors in determining your significant other. However, if you come to this decision, you should have the guts to convey this decision as one that has come from you, because ultimately it is your choice. Jesus Christ is most likely not going to come to you in a dream or a tortilla to guide your relational decisions. Even if He did, it is not your place to bring the infinite wisdom of the divine rejection from on high, to the unsuspecting ears of your would-be suitor.

So if you are still single out there, I beg you to have respect for God and the guy/girl you are rejecting. Have the guts to reject them yourself. It isn't Jesus' job to keep weird-looking people from liking you.

P.S. I'm glad God didn't tell Kristen I wasn't "The One" :)

No comments: