Relationship

I have this friend, who I love to hang out with. Every moment with her is fun and interesting, so I try to make time to hang out with her. However, about 50% of the time she either cancels or doesn't show up. She has a busy life, so I can understand her not showing up all the time, but constantly being ditched starts to wear on you. I get to the point where I'm not sure I want to plan to hang out with her again, where I think she probably doesn't want to hang out with me. She tells me she wants to, but actions speak louder than words. She's not shown up three out of the last four times she said she would. It has me thinking... what's the point?

On my calendar, every weekday at 2:30PM, I have "God Time". Yet, Monday I was too busy making a loop for a video and song we are doing for Christmas. Tuesday I was on top of a mountain on a video shoot. Today, I show up at Starbucks (where I do my "God Time") at about 3:00PM. I've been getting a lot out of having a regular quiet time (which, if you know me, is incredibly difficult because I SUCK at schedules), but I still missed those two and showed up late for this one.

What if God was like me? The Bible illustrates a relationship between Him and us, His people, adopted into the family. What if that relationship is more than just a nice word? What if God has humbled Himself to the point where He can be just as hurt by me not showing up for our "hang outs" as I am when my friends ditch me?

This girl asked me what I wanted for my birthday. She wanted to buy something, but all I really want is her presence. I would buy her dinner, take her to the movies, go on a hike, watch Christmas lights... whatever it took, as long as I could hang out with her. The only thing I want is her time.

I have a feeling that, as I try to do this and that to please God, working hard to perfect a string section to a song or climbing a mountain to make a video celebrating His birthday, that my priorities are out of whack. I think what matters to God, more than anything, isn't a song or a video or something like that. I think He would be honored more if I kept my word, if I valued him more than a flashy video or lush loop to a song.

What if I was made in His image, and the reason her time is important to me...

is the same reason my time is important to Him?

God and I... we have a relationship. Right now, I am one crappy friend.

P.S. John Shaffer... your comment to my last post kicked me in the spiritual balls. Good job.

No comments: